I just read an article on golfwrx.com about the new studies done with Doppler radar, FlightScope and Trackman. The results show that the old golf ball flight laws are invalid. Crazy, I know!
The New Golf Ball Flight Laws
- Curvature is created when the path of the club and the face angle of the club point in different directions at impact.
- When the path and the face are pointing in the same direction at impact, you can hit a pull, a straight shot, or a push depending on where the face and the path are pointing. The ball will not curve unless another force is acting upon it, such as wind, slopes, off-center hits, etc.
- The ball mostly starts in the direction of the face angle at IMPACT (green arrow).
- The clubface direction at ADDRESS does NOT control the face angle direction at impact, however, it can influence it.
- The ball curves away from your swing path (blue arrow).
- Divots do not tell you starting direction, true club path, angle of attack, curvature or exact lie angle. They are virtually worthless for you to use to determine what happened during impact.
Check out the article for more info. You can find it here.